Welcome

A curiosity shop is a place of odds and ends in a wide range of categories. One never knows what one will find on any visit, and that is the goal of this blog. Here you'll find postings on doings around Easton, the world's environment, history, recipes, fly fishing, books, music, and movies with many other things thrown in as well. Hope you enjoy it and keep coming back.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

2011 Deutsche Bank Championship Day 1

Monday is normally the first day of the Deutsche Bank Tournament in Norton. Due to Irene, the closed-to-the public Stop and Shop Pro-Am was cancelled, however. My Monday call was changed from 6:30 am until 8. I imagine my first job will be to repair damage to the cart yard where all our golf carts sat out through the storm. If not, I'll be joining other select volunteers and the enormous groundskeeping crew in cleaning up the course. This is ironic since my first job was as an assistant groundskeeper at Easton Country Club. A potentially long and distinguished career was cut short when I jumped on a riding lawn mower, looked over my shoulder, and threw the mower into forward instead of reverse. Unluckily for me, the boss' truck door was right there to stop me.

Beginning tomorrow I'll be posting the blog in the evenings for the duration of the tournament. Tuesday is the first of the twelve hour days. Why do I do this for my vacation week from Sheep Pasture's chickens, ducks, and bunnies?
           1. I had a step second cousin who ran off and joined a carnival. The behind the scenes life of the blue crew (the catchy name for the volunteers) where 1,500 folks come together for one week of the PGA tour is as close to that carny life as I ever want to get. And the carts crew are the kings of the carny.
           2. Every golf cart in America runs off a single key and I have that key.
           3. There are other volunteers who spend their time making sure no one gets in my way when I drive carts. Not good for my road rage problems the week after the tournament, but great one week a year.
           4. Golf is the spectator sport where the fans get closest to the players. Cart drivers get closer still. Despite his personal problems Tiger was always very polite to me.
           5. My hours and volunteer fee help give millions to a variety of local and national charities, but unlike other charities where I get a thank you or at best a magazine, the blue crew is treated to a lot of perks donated by corporations. It's nice to be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment