Welcome

A curiosity shop is a place of odds and ends in a wide range of categories. One never knows what one will find on any visit, and that is the goal of this blog. Here you'll find postings on doings around Easton, the world's environment, history, recipes, fly fishing, books, music, and movies with many other things thrown in as well. Hope you enjoy it and keep coming back.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Discovr Music

I know only a small minority of the folks who read this blog actually have a Mac computer, but I have to share my latest discovery at the Mac app store. Yesterday for 99¢ I bought Discovr Music. It is the most amazing time waster for anyone who loves music. Enter the name of any of three million performers, composers, or bands and the program drops a circle on blank map with the bands name and a half a dozen groups that share a similar sound or style. Click on one of those circles and a few more circles may pop up. Some might link back to the original circle or begin to branch wildly away. Double click on a circle and you'll get a band biography, YouTube links, links to reviews, music stores, and blogs.

YouTube is a revelation for me since it's blocked at OA unless a teacher requests it. I've used YouTube to present some of the early films of the LumiƩre brothers to my class, but haven't really explored it. I heard someone say on the news recently that for every second of real time ten minutes of video is uploaded to YouTube. With an add-on to my trusty Firefox browser I can download all that!

Anyway back to Discovr Music. When I typed in Ravi Shankar and continued to hit the related circles a tight ball of deeply interconnected artists developed with only daughter Anoushka shooting off to the side and connecting with the world of pop. A looser ball developed when I typed in a favorite fado singer, Ana Moura. By the way putting in an artist more than once doesn't always guarantee getting the same web. Finally I typed in Johnny Cash. If I liked him try daughter Rosanne Cash who was similar to Linda Ronstandt who has a link to Bonnie Raitt who sounds a little like Sheryl Crow who has things in common with Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac who has some songs that remind Discovr of Cyndi Lauper who sounds somewhat like Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta. Hard to believe there's a connection, however remote, between Stefani-you might know her better as Lady GaGa-and the Man in Black. Anyway I recently bought several of the songs on Tony Bennett's latest duets album. He and Ms. Germanotta do a high spirited version of The Lady is a Tramp. Hey, the girl can really sing. Anyway using Discovr I was able to find the music video of the song-just two artists having a good time in a studio, but well worth the download.

No comments:

Post a Comment