Welcome

A curiosity shop is a place of odds and ends in a wide range of categories. One never knows what one will find on any visit, and that is the goal of this blog. Here you'll find postings on doings around Easton, the world's environment, history, recipes, fly fishing, books, music, and movies with many other things thrown in as well. Hope you enjoy it and keep coming back.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Foods, Recipes, and a New App

Just downloaded a free iPad App from the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra that allows you to listen to about 250 pieces that cover the whole history of chamber music from the Baroque to the present. Not only can you hear the pieces, but you can get extensive notes on the performances. A very nice way to explore classical music.

 I forgot to mention I bought a cup of Old Chatham Sheepherding Company Sheep's Milk Yogurt with Ginger. This costs about three times what a Chobani yogurt costs. If you've ever milked a sheep, you'll understand the cost. This is the creamiest, most delicious yogurt I've ever tasted. Sheep's milk is higher in calcium, protein, vitamins, and zinc than cow's milk. It's also easier to digest than cow's milk. Still, its the flavor that makes it worth a try if you ever run across it.

My mother was a dedicated collector of cookbooks so I have dozens around the house, but when I'm looking for a recipe or recipe idea, I go to my iPad for the cookbooks I have there. Two of the books are the online versions of the regular and vegetarian How To Cook Everything. The other is Big Oven. Big Oven allows you to search through about 250,000 recipes. Yesterday looking for recipes for chanterelle mushrooms Big Oven offered me 26. However, I decided to go with a variation of the basic recipe for Cranberry Beans and Porcini from the vegetarian version of HTCE. The very easy variation is  called Fava Beans from Chanterelles. Using some info from Big Oven and Wikipedia, I added frozen pearl onions. I blanched and skinned the fava beans and set them aside. Using the hot bean water I defrosted the pearl onions. I cleaned the chanterelles and chopped them. In a sauté pan I melted a good amount of Kate's Butter and added some greek seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano) In went the chanterelles which I sauteed til they softened and released a wonderful citrusy aroma. Then in went the onions which had been carefully drained. Finally the beans were added. The chanterelles have an amazing mild flavor which is really complemented by the beans and onions. The original recipe is for cranberry beans and porcini and serves four. It has detailed measurements, but with just three main ingredients its easy to improvise.

As I mentioned yesterday, I bought some Speck at Wegman's. This is a dried pork product from the Tyrol region in Italy. Think of it as prosciutto with the addition of juniper berries and other spices. A little research turned up a sandwich idea that is very good. It starts with rye bread, horseradish sauce, and kosher dill pickle slices and a generous amount of Speck. I added a very thin slice of onion and a slice of provolone cheese. Turns out this traditional idea is a very flavorful blend of sweet, salty, and savory.

Today, I visited the Foxboro Cheese Company to try to convince them to join our Farmer's Market. They make their own fromage blanc and asiago. Over the next couple of days I give you a review. On Wednesday I'll be touring the Simpson Springs Company, America's oldest beverage company. You can try Simpson Spring's wonderful soft drinks and spring water at the Farmer's Market tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment