Welcome

A curiosity shop is a place of odds and ends in a wide range of categories. One never knows what one will find on any visit, and that is the goal of this blog. Here you'll find postings on doings around Easton, the world's environment, history, recipes, fly fishing, books, music, and movies with many other things thrown in as well. Hope you enjoy it and keep coming back.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Time for Easton to Give Chaloos a Second Chance?


There are a number of fine restaurants in Easton, but the range of dining choices is small. Thus, when Chaloos Persian Restaurant opened in October I had high hopes for a different taste in town. As is often the case when a new restaurant opens I ate there a number of times to try the full menu. I ate lunch at El Mariachi’s every day last April vacation and was practically adopted into the family. The welcome at Chaloos wasn’t quite as warm, but the service was attentive and I recommended it to "everyone."

"Everyone" soon came back to me with gripes and grumbles. Most were about price and portion size, some were about stale pita or not liking the flavors. One person told me  "I give it six months.” What I didn't hear, but what is certainly an issue for some is that Chaloos doesn't have a liquor license. Maybe I was wrong about the place, I thought, so I stopped going in. It seems that after a first burst of enthusiasm most of Easton did the same. I hardly see anyone in Chaloo’s these days. At least now I don’t have to wear my hoodie and a guilty look as I sneak into the Thailand Restaurant because that Easton institution has closed after 22 years.

Today, the Globe’s South Weekly section reviewed Chaloo’s and reminded me of all the reasons I liked the restaurant in the first place.You can find the review here. (Don't be terrified by the movie ad that jumps off the screen. The full menu is also available on line. A healthy vegetarian lunch plate of falafel and a Persian salad can be had for $8.95. Wraps are also a good lunch choice in the $6.45 (hommus and veggies) to 9.95 (falafel and lamb) range. Soups are $5 or $6 and are deliciously different. The top price on the menu is $23.95 for a three skewer kabob combo. Admittedly the amount of food you get seems a little less than you get at Maguire's or El Mariachi's, but doesn't seem that far out of line to me. For locals used to Greek food, Chaloos offers a different taste profile on the typical Middle Eastern fare.

Maybe we should all give Chaloos a second chance. If we don't our restaurant choices will get even narrower.

No comments:

Post a Comment