Welcome

A curiosity shop is a place of odds and ends in a wide range of categories. One never knows what one will find on any visit, and that is the goal of this blog. Here you'll find postings on doings around Easton, the world's environment, history, recipes, fly fishing, books, music, and movies with many other things thrown in as well. Hope you enjoy it and keep coming back.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

The 150th Anniversary of the Civil War

I thought the Red Sox starting pitching was going to be the weak link this year! Lester has always been a slow starter so let's not panic there, and hopefully Buchholz has become a quality starter. Lackey, DiceK, and Beckett don't fill me with much confidence. Can we make the playoffs with two good starters?

OK, today's real topic. The 150th anniversary is upon us. This is the third time a Civil War Anniversary has come during my lifetime. During the centennial I was a high school student intrigued with reading many of the excellent books that came out. For the 125th I was just finishing up my hobby as a living history reenacter, and now for the 150th I am again intrigued, but this time by the resources for research available on the Internet. I'll be sharing some of those in some of my blogs.

Virginia Tech seems to have gotten the online bug earlier than many more famous institutions with the announcement of an ambitious project to digitize a number of Civil War era newspapers from both the North and the South. The first paper to be put online comes from Macon, Georgia, but others are promised soon. The New York Times, by the way, recently published a book and CD of their Civil War coverage. Returning to Virginia Tech you can find a tiny collection of eight love letters sent during the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment