Welcome

A curiosity shop is a place of odds and ends in a wide range of categories. One never knows what one will find on any visit, and that is the goal of this blog. Here you'll find postings on doings around Easton, the world's environment, history, recipes, fly fishing, books, music, and movies with many other things thrown in as well. Hope you enjoy it and keep coming back.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Musings and Two Links

Wow, a huge typo in the first line of yesterday's blog. This aging process is not a pleasant thing. I started having trouble remembering names about twenty years ago. The first time it happened, when a student from the previous year knocked on my classroom door in October and I couldn't remember her name, it was terrifying. Now it happens all the time. Of course, it's made me much more outgoing than the typical Yankee-I'm prone to assuming I already know someone, say hi and start a conversation. A kind of defensive friendliness from someone who's really very shy.

After teaching for so long and seeing so many misspellings I suppose it was inevitable that I'd start spelling words incorrectly, but lately I've been having trouble with there, their, and they're and, as in yesterday's blog here and hear. It's like my brain has to be constantly watched or it will sneak off and do something stupid. The doctors tell me it's all a symptom of sleep apnea, or diabetes, or even low cholesterol. I guess I'll have to fire up the old cpap machine and see if I get smarter again.

On the other hand I am getting ancient. I was back in the old neighborhood in Braintree yesterday where I spent my first twelve years. One of my earliest memories was waking up one morning and finding our front yard covered with newspapers from Worcester-pushed all the way there by the remains of the great tornado of 1953. Or to be more precise, because precision is called for more and more these days, I remember the papers in the yard and my mother telling me they were from Worcester.

Let's end with a couple of links. Here's a link to a story in Newsweek by Allegra Huston about discovering that her famous father John wasn't her father. It's a memory brought back by the recent "Arnold episode" because she was told shortly after Huston had run off to Mexico with the family maid. It's actually a well written and ultimately a very happy story about modern families.

The other link comes from My Modern Metropolis, my favorite art and design blog. It features the photos of the three Bell sisters from England. All three were home schooled in a style reminiscent of John Dewey-if the kids showed an interest in something the parents provided the materials for them to explore and a push in the right direction. It seems to have worked out very well as the girls have produced sweet, beautiful and sometimes sentimental photos to support a business based around photo tips, photoshop filters, and prints, Here are examples:




You can visit their very commercial website here. Despite the emphasis on commerce there is a lot to explore-great English landscapes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment