Welcome

A curiosity shop is a place of odds and ends in a wide range of categories. One never knows what one will find on any visit, and that is the goal of this blog. Here you'll find postings on doings around Easton, the world's environment, history, recipes, fly fishing, books, music, and movies with many other things thrown in as well. Hope you enjoy it and keep coming back.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Restarting the Economy

On CyberFriday I managed to make it to Coriander's for lunch. It was packed with folks who had apparently spent the morning shopping. I felt bad that I hadn't saved the American economy by shopping on Black Friday so I determined to spend money on Small Business Saturday. By the way, I remember the days when you saved the American economy by building a factory so I was thrilled to have an opportunity to help out in my price range.

I started my day at the Bass Pro Shop, certainly not a small business. I thought it was important to help them make rent so Bob Kraft could continue to spend money on the Patriots. Bass Pro also sells my favorite winter socks. Imagine a pair of thick comfy socks with a lifetime guarantee. They aren't guaranteed against the loss of one sock in the wash, but into their second year my first pair is still going strong. I bought three pairs. I don't think they're guaranteed for three consecutive lifetimes, but I'm going to put them in my will just in case.

I imagine in points south Bass Pro was mobbed with gun crazed hunters, but this is Massachusetts so most folks on the first floor were buying clothes. The gun crazed hunters all seemed to be concentrated on the stairs where the kids were playing shooting games. In the basement next to the giant fish tank, Cabot Cheese had set up a sampling station. I learned that while Cabot's great cheese is made in Vermont, milk is collected all over New England including West Bridgewater. Cabot, of course, is known for its great cheddar, but they are branching out into flavored cheeses. On display were the ubiquitous pepper jack, and in their second season both a Chipotle cheese and a Habanero  cheese. My favorite was a horseradish cheese.

Finally, after fighting my way through the crowds in the regular fishing department, I found myself as the only person in the fly fishing department. Why folks don't love fly fishing instead of just plunking a lure in the water, I'll never understand. Maybe it has something to do with actually catching big fish. Anyway after buying four expensive, nontraditional flies that should attract the giant bass I've heard about, but never caught. I headed for the checkout and only ended up with two impulse buys, a  DVD called Crappie Secrets Uncovered and a camoflauge throw blanket. The DVD was about the fish not about investigating fourth rate Egyptian tombs with Zahi Hawass.

Returning to the sacred ground of Easton, I had to decide between shopping at my two favorite small businesses, the Village Toy Store or Paperback Junction. Putting Christmas shopping off for another week, I headed for Paperback Junction. What I like about both these places is the person service. At the Village Toy Store, I update them on Bella and Lily, my youngest cousins and the helpful people point me in the right direction for great toys in my price range. I've been shopping at Paperback Junction for over twenty years, and despite the lure of Amazon.com and my Barnes and Noble Nook I still go in weekly because Tricia Peterson usually has something she'll know I'll like. Unfortunately, my buying exceeds my reading so right know I need three lifetime guarantees to catch up. Stop writing and read is probably the best thing for me. Buy local and keep two great businesses going is good advice for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment